Polyurethane mattress is made of foams obtained through casting or moulding.
Polyurethane is obtained only by mixing two components (Polyol and Toluene Isocyanate), which are originally liquid.
In the last ten years, thanks to the development of the productive technologies, eco-friendly flexible expanded polyurethane had been produced, where water is the expansion agent – the reagent that enables foam expansion and growth. The obtained products are nonallergenic, resistant, ergonomic and especially, free of harmful chemicals, for the health and for the environment, like CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons) and non-flammable chlorinated solvents.
Furthermore, a high quality expanded polyurethane must guarantee a good breathability: a good polyurethane foam absorbs moisture and releases it a short time.
Ceriflex uses water-based polyurethane that guarantees maximum resilience offering an ergonomic support too.
Polyurethane mattress can be chosen based on its main features, namely:
– Density, which identifies the weight that the mattress can support for every cubic metre (m³)
– Resilience, which identifies foam’s elasticity and allows us to understand the degree of resilience of the entire mattress
– Compression, namely the degree of deformation of the foam after it has been compressed for a certain period, at a given temperature.
Polyurethane mattresses are recommended for someone who wants a mattress that embraces the body and more generally for:
• Someone who wants a thermal insulation material
• Someone who suffers from allergies to dust and dust mites, because it stops them from gaining access, especially if the mattress has a removable cover.
• Shown below the Polyurethane mattress qualities: resistance, crushproof, breathability, resilience, thermal isolation (recommended for well-ventilated, fresh and dry rooms).
The removable cover version and/or with synthetic filling prevents dust mites from colonizing.
Can be manufactured with a special antibacterial and anti-static treatment, recommended for someone who does not suffer from excessive sweating
There are different types of polyurethane:
• High resilience foam: assures high elasticity and flexibility. It is one of the most used materials for the mattresses’ inner core, especially for the medium- high quality mattresses. It is recyclable and the production technology used for its manufacturing eliminates CFCs and
other agents that can harm the ozone layer, contributing to the global warming.
• Waster-based polyurethane: this type of polyurethane does not contain harmful substances for the ozone layer and it is easily recyclable. Having a cell structure similar to that of a natural sponge, it is a hygienic material, breathable, dissipates heat and humidity, maintains
the body temperature at a pleasant level.
• Soy-based polyurethane: the polyurethane foam that uses soy is a foam made with water, air and soy seeds extract as an alternative to fossil-based polymers. It is nontoxic, antibacterial and anti-mould.
• Polyurethane Gel: nontoxic polyurethane, free of volatile substances and plasticizers, it has high resilience properties. Used mostly as a contact surface, it embraces the body distributing body weight evenly, facilitating the dispersion of accumulated heat and giving a pleasant sensation of freshness.